Cameron Students posing for a picture on Campus

Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Students

The Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. The mission of VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.

How to Apply:

  1. Complete VA Form 28-1900, for Vocational Rehabilitation.

  2. The following supporting evidence and/or documents should be submitted with your claim:
    • Dependency Documents - If not currently on record with VA, the original or copies of birth and marriage certificates and copies of divorce/death record terminating your prior marriages and those of your spouse, if applicable.
    • Completed form - VA 21-687c for Declaration of Status of Dependents provides dependent information to VA; CU-VA suggests you send it with the above mentioned dependency documents.

Once you are approved to be eligible by the Department of Veteran Affairs, a VA Information Packet will be sent to you identifying that you have been approved for benefits and who has been assigned as a VA Case Manager for your individual case. ** The CU-VA cannot certify you for any courses until you have been fully accepted into the program under your Case Manager**

The CU-VA will not identify you as a Chapter 31 student until proper documentation of your Chapter 31 status from your Case Manager has been received by our office.

A person who wishes to apply to use Chapter 31 benefits at Cameron University will need to have completed the following:

  1. Provided Official Transcripts of all prior accredited institutions of higher education attended/attending currently to the Cameron University Undergraduate Admissions Office. (This is a requirement for all students using veterans benefits, even if the Admissions Office does not need them for your admission to the university. The reason for this requirement is the Department of Veteran Affairs requires the CU-VA Office to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher educational institutions.) For additional information, visit Cameron's Undergraduate Admission's web site .

    *Graduate students would need to provide official transcripts to Cameron Graduate Admissions Office. (See Graduate Studies for more information.)

    *When you are admitted to Cameron University, it will be necessary for YOU to PAY your CU Admissions fee, and (if necessary) ACT Fee. You WILL BE REIMBURSED by VA after they receive your receipts.

    **If you have special needs, you should contact your CASE Manager for assistance.

  2. Student must be admitted to Cameron University before the CU-VA will proceed with processing a student's paperwork for veterans benefits.

The Department of VA Vocational Rehabilitation pays for tuition costs for students taking courses required toward their approved VA Educational Objective. Students also receive a monthly allowance based on their VA enrollment status:

Special Tips & Information for Chapter 31 students:

  • A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits. Frequent changes often can cause a student to have and overpayment of benefits. Frequent changes of schedule may also delay your certification process, especially if non-required courses for your approved VA Educational Objective are taken. Unless non-required courses are approved by your case manager; you will be required to pay the tuition on those courses yourself. Please notify the CU-VA Office when you hand in your schedule if you plan to take extra courses, and pay for them yourself. We also encourage you contact your case manager, and also make them aware of ANY changes to your schedule or desired VA objective.

For additional benefit usage information, please refer to the CU-VA Student Information page.