Cameron Students posing for a picture on Campus

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill®: Selected Reserves

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606) program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, the Coast Guard Reserve, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.

We encourage you to visit the Department of Veteran Affairs' web page for eligibility information and more detailed information on Chapter 1606.

Someone wishing to apply for Chapter 1606 benefits with Cameron University will need to have completed the following:

  1. Provided Official Transcripts of all prior accredited institutions of higher education attended/attending currently to the Cameron University Undergraduate Admissions Office. (This is a requirement for all students using veterans benefits, even if the Admissions Office does not need them for your admission to the university. The reason for this requirement is the Department of Veteran Affairs requires the CU-VA Office to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher educational institutions.) For additional information, visit Cameron's Undergraduate Admission's web site .

    *Graduate students would need to provide official transcripts to Cameron Graduate Admissions Office. (See Graduate Studies for more information.)

    Students must be admitted to Cameron University before the CU-VA will proceed with processing a student's paperwork for veterans benefits.

  2. Either an Application for educational benefits VA Form 22-1990 or a request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 - completed. Students may also complete an application online . IMPORTANT: The CU-VA office is required to maintain a student file for everyone using veterans benefits. Any VA form processed through the CU-VA office will be reviewed for correctness & completeness, as well as to provide the CU-VA with basic information if a problem should arise.
  3. Each student must submit a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD Form 2384 with either their application or change of program/place. The reserve unit will give a written notice of basic eligibility to each reservist who meet the basic eligibility requirements by using the DD Form 2384, Selected Reserve Education Assistance Program (GI Bill®) Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). A photocopy of this form is acceptable for submission to VA. REMEMBER: All forms need to be processed through the CU-VA before forwarding paperwork to the VA Regional Office.

Pay Status

To be considered a full-time student by VA for undergraduate students, you must be enrolled in at least 6 hours of 8 week courses each 8 week term or 12 hours of 16 week courses for the semester. For graduate students, you must be in 9 hours of graduate level 16 week courses, 4 hours of graduate level 8 week courses each 8 weeks, or consecutively meeting 3 hours 4 weekend courses (with no breaks between weekend meeting dates).

Mixtures of courses with different lengths requires special attention and advice. Graduate Assistantships will not count toward your VA pay status.

Note : The university considers a full-time student for the whole semester DIFFERENTLY than the VA for payment purposes!!

With the exception of Chapter 31, all less than half-time students will be paid automatically in a lump sum.

Contact the CU-VA for information concerning your VA payment status. VA Educational Benefits are non-taxable.

See Current Rate Tables

Special Tips & Information for Reserve students

  1. A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits. Frequent changes often can cause a student to have an overpayment of benefits.  Frequent changes of schedule may also delay your certification process, especially if non-required courses for your approved VA Educational Objective are taken.
  2. If you have a problem with your NOBE and the VA does not find you eligible, the first place to contact to have the problem corrected is your reserve unit. Your unit enters the information on the DOD computer that indicates your eligibility. If your unit cannot get the problem corrected on your NOBE, contact CU-VA for referral to additional military contacts that can be of assistance.
  3. For additional benefit usage information, see appropriate pages under CU-VA Student Information in the menu.