Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill®: Selected Reserves
The Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606) program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, the Coast Guard Reserve, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.
If you are uncertain as to your Chapter 1606 eligibility, please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs web site which provides detailed information on the categories in which you can qualify for benefits.
Someone wishing to apply for Chapter 1606 benefits with Cameron University will need to have completed the following:
Provided Official Transcripts of
all prior accredited institutions of higher education
attended/attending currently to the Cameron University Undergraduate Admissions Office. (This is a requirement for all students using veterans benefits, even if the Admissions Office does not need them for your admission to the university. The reason for this requirement is the Department of Veteran Affairs requires the CU-VA Office to officially report all prior credits completed at other higher educational institutions.) For additional information, visit Cameron's
Undergraduate Admission's web site
*Graduate students would need to provide official transcripts to Cameron Graduate Admissions Office. (See Graduate Studies for more information.)
Students must be admitted to Cameron University before the CU-VA will proceed with processing a student's paperwork for veterans benefits.
- Either an Application for educational benefits VA Form 22-1990 or a request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 - completed. Students may also complete an application online. IMPORTANT: The CU-VA office is required to maintain a student file for everyone using veterans benefits. Any VA form processed through the CU-VA office will be reviewed for correctness & completeness, as well as to provide the CU-VA with basic information if a problem should arise.
- Each student must submit a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD Form 2384 with either their application or change of program/place. The reserve unit will give a written notice of basic eligibility to each reservist who meet the basic eligibility requirements by using the DD Form 2384, Selected Reserve Education Assistance Program (GI Bill®) Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). A photocopy of this form is acceptable for submission to VA.
Special Tips & Information for Reserve students
- If you have a problem with your NOBE and the VA does not find you eligible, the first place to contact to have the problem corrected is your reserve unit. Your unit enters the information on the DOD computer that indicates your eligibility. If your unit cannot get the problem corrected on your NOBE, contact CU-VA for referral to additional military contacts that can be of assistance.
- Monthly Verification Procedures: Currently, CH 1606 recipients must verify attendance on a monthly basis. You must do monthly verifications. You may call your verification telephonically or verify via the internet. You may call: 1-877-823-2378 and follow the instructions provided OR you may go on the W.A.V.E.S portal and follow instructions provided. The Muskogee office will reimburse any back payment owed once your claim is processed and your verification is received.
- A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits. Frequent changes often can cause a student to have an overpayment of benefits. Frequent changes of schedule may also delay your certification process, especially if non-required courses for your approved VA Educational Objective are taken. Please notify the CU-VA Office of any changes in your class schedule to ensure your VA benefits are paid out accurately.
- See Current Rate Tables
For additional benefit usage information, please refer to the CU-VA Student Information page.