Resident Assistant Selection
Cameron University Resident Assistant 2020-2021 – Office of Student Housing
POSITION: The position of Resident Assistant (RA) within the Office of Student Housing is a live-in, 9 month (August-May), para-professional position that requires the RA to reside in their designated area of responsibility. The RA is responsible for maintaining and fostering a community of 20-50 residents. RAs report to a Student Housing professional staff member.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Resident Assistants at Cameron University are required to fulfill a diverse set of duties and responsibilities. These duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to administrative, counseling, programmatic, and policy enforcement.
- Must have a 2.5 GPA at the time of application, and must maintain a 2.5 GPA the entirety of their time as a Resident Assistant.
- Must maintain full-time academic status throughout the entire contract year.
- Must be in good academic standing throughout the entire contract year.
- Must be able to work with a diverse group of students in a residential environment, and have high resolve in finding solutions to difficult situations.
- Must have good time management skills, and must maintain a high level of visibility and availability to residents.
- Must demonstrate superior leadership skills.
- Must work a pre-determined desk shift and serve on an on-call rotation.
- Will plan and execute several social, educational, and passive programs throughout the academic year.
- Must be of strong mind and will. The Resident Assistant position requires high levels of adaptability and responsibility. Resident Assistants deal with a variety of student issues on a daily basis and must have the knowledge, maturity, empathy, and understanding to help students navigate these issues.
- Will also serve an essential role in policy enforcement. Resident Assistants must develop and maintain a good working knowledge of housing policy and be prepared to enforce these policies fairly across the board.
- Must be observant and sensitive to issues going on in the residential community and be proactive in resolving them before they turn into major concerns.
- Must demonstrate a high level of professionalism, promote scholarship, and serve as an advocate for Cameron Student Housing.
Preference will be given to individuals who have lived in Cameron University Student Housing for at least one semester prior to applying.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To be considered, applicants will download and complete the Cameron student employment application, submit a current resume, three professional references (optional), current transcript, and a short answer to each of the following questions:
- How long have you lived in Student Housing?
- Why do you want to be a Resident Assistant?
- What is an issue you see in Student Housing? How would you address/improve it?
- What other activities are you involved in on campus? How would this impact your role as a Resident Assistant?
All of these materials must be typed and returned to:
Office of Student Housing
McMahon Learning Center
Your application will not be complete until all required materials are turned into the Student Housing Office.
For any questions, please contact Dylan Pflum at email@example.com or call 580-581-5907.