Cameron Students posing for a picture on Campus

Resources for Students

Ashley Tucker, International Student Services' Administrative Assistant. Cameron University since September 2014. 

Learn more about the city of Lawton by clicking here.

Cameron Universities current Academic Calendar.

Please visit this page to calculate your tuition and fees. 

How to Open a U.S. Bank Account

You do not need a Social security Number or a letter from the ISS. You will need: Your passport, I‐20, letter of admission to Columbia, local address, Columbia ID (if available). Be sure the bank officer is aware that you are a non-resident. You will be asked to complete a form called W8-BEN for nonresidents so your savings or checking account interest will not be taxed. For banks, see banks in and around Cameron University.

How to Obtain a U.S. Credit Card

Difficult to get your first credit card because of lack of U.S. credit history (record of paying your bills). Ask the bank where you have an account about qualifying for one of their credit cards.

How to Get a U.S. Mobile Phone Service

Some carriers may offer student discounts, but it is best to check with the stores owned by the mobile provider directly rather than authorized dealers. Some students bring an “unlocked” phone from home and buy a U.S. SIM card from a mobile provider.

How to Obtain an Oklahoma Driving License

State law requires all applicants for a driver license or identification card to present specific documented proof of legal presence in the United States.

Procedures for US citizens will affect first-time applicants, new residents, and anyone currently holding an Oklahoma driver license who is applying for an upgrade of license class, such as upgrading to a commercial driver license. This will not affect Oklahoma residents who are renewing, unless they allow their license to expire. If the license is expired, the applicant must appear before a Driver Examiner to establish proof of legal presence in the United States.

The license or ID card of a noncitizen will be clearly labeled with the word "Temporary" and will be issued for the period of time of the person is authorized to be in the United States or for four years, whichever is shorter.

If a noncitizen applicant does not provide one of the documents required, a license or an ID card will not be issued, renewed, or replaced.

For both citizens and non-citizens, the name on the driver license or identification card must be same as the name on the document presented, unless the applicant also presents a court order of name change.

Obtain a Social Security Card

View Instructions to Apply for a Social Security Card here.

How to Overcome Culture Shock

Moving to a new country, new city and a new academic environment is a significant adjustment for everyone. The adjustment process is often called culture shock. There is no way to know in advance how you will respond to cultural adjustment. Each individual experiences it differently. The adjustment process is normal, so be patient with yourself and others.

See Edupass's guide about US social customs and cultural differences.

How to Deal with Depression

Depression (major depressive disorder or clinical depression) is a common but serious mood disorder. It causes severe symptoms that affect how you feel, think, and handle daily activities, such as sleeping, eating, or studying. To be diagnosed with depression, the symptoms must be present for at least two weeks.

How to Deal with Suicide

A combination of individual and social factors contribute to the risk of suicide. Find out more.

How to Maintain Mental Health

Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.

What is Cheating?

Having someone else do your work

Talking during examinations, especially in another language. Asking to borrow a pencil or using another person’s calculator during an exam could even be construed as cheating

Collaborating on homework assignments. Be sure you ask the teaching assistant or the professor whether you can work with fellow students on an assignment.

See student’s Code of Conduct.

What is Plagiarism?

Plagiarism is defined as representing another person’s work as your own.

How to Stay Safe

At night, take the well-lit and well-traveled paths. Avoid shortcuts through dark or isolated areas.

Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to call for an escort—your safety, well-being, and peace of mind are at stake.

Be prepared and ready with your keys before you approach your residence hall, apartment, home, or automobile.

If you think someone is following you, don’t lead him or her to your destination—instead, abruptly change directions and go into a store or restaurant that is open.

Be aware of your valuables and belongings, such as your backpack, handbag, or wallet. Even if you’re in a “safe” place for a short time, take them with you rather than leave them behind.

When taking the bus or subway, use well-lit, and preferably well-peopled, stations

Protect your privacy online and be aware of scams on the phone, street and online. Be alert to phishing.

What documents will prove availability of guaranteed funds?

Please see Proof of Guaranteed Funds on the Admission Requirements page.

How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?

The TOEFL/IELTS score is valid for two years.

How does Cameron University accept WES transcript evaluations?

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an evaluation agency course by course with final GPA.

Will Cameron University accept WES transcripts evaluated document by document?

No. Transcripts evaluated by WES must be course by course with final GPA.

Can the application fee be waived for international students?

No, we do not waive the Cameron application fee except in very rare circumstances.

I have sent my application to the CU. What happens next?

Once we receive your materials, we will send you a letter to confirm the receipt of your application. We will also send you an Identification Number and an Aggie Access Code that you can use to check the status of your application online. If admitted, a Notice of Admission and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form) will be delivered to you.

Do I need to submit an immunization record?

Yes, all students must submit an immunization record. Cameron University requires all entering students to provide proof of immunity for a number of infectious diseases. Information about all required vaccines is available at………………….

Do I need health insurance?

Yes, all international students should have health insurance.

Can I defer my offer of admission?

Cameron University admits students for a specific term. If you wish to enroll for a term later than that for which you are admitted, you must submit a new application with updated transcripts. Your application fee is good for one academic year (fall through summer terms).

How much does it cost to attend?

Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021 costs include Tuition (includes mandatory fees of $57 per semester hour). 

See Tuitions and Fees

Can international students apply for financial aid and scholarships?

CU offers many scholarships and financial aid for international students. Financial assistance for international students is available through the International Student Services. International students can also apply for general university scholarships

Where can I obtain scholarship information?

Please see International Student Scholarships

What is the deadline to pay?

Students are responsible for payment of tuition and fees for all classes in which they are enrolled as of the payment deadline. Students will not be cancelled from classes due to non-payment of tuition and fees by the due date . Students should drop any classes in which they do not wish to be enrolled prior to the due date in order to avoid billing and finance charges.

Students should pay tuition prior to the beginning of classes in which they are enrolled. Interest charges of 1.5% will be assessed monthly on unpaid balances.

If fees are not paid in full by the end of the semester, an additional $50 will be added to the account balance. Students are responsible for paying the assessed tuition unless an official drop is completed prior to the drop deadline.

Where do I pay?

Walk-In Payment: Payment may be made in person at One Stop in the McMahon Centennial Complex Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Telephone Payment: Payment may be made via telephone using a VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Please have your credit card ready when calling. Call 580.581.2219 or 580.581.2393 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Mail-In Payment: Make checks payable to Cameron University. Mail the check or money order to: Cameron University, Attn: Cashier, 2800 W. Gore Blvd., Lawton, OK 73505. Include your name and social security number or student identification number on the check.

Online Payments: To make a payment online:

Log into Aggie Access using your username and password.

Click on the "My Info" tab.

Select "Access Touchnet - Bills/Payments."

What are Cameron University refund and withdrawal policies?

Please see Tuition and Fees

How many hours are needed for full-time status at the undergraduate level?

A student is considered full-time when enrolled in 12 or more credit hours during a regular 16-week semester, 6 or more credit hours during a summer semester.

How many hours are needed for full-time status at the graduate level?

A student is considered full-time when enrolled in 9 or more credit hours during a 16-week semester, 4 or more credit hours in an 8-week session.

Can I study part time?

No, international students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 9 credits to be considered full time.

What degrees are offered at Cameron University?

Refer to the Cameron Catalog or for a list of current degrees available.

Can international students apply for a second undergraduate degree?

Yes, international students can apply for a second undergraduate degree and/or minor.

Are there resources to assist students to select programs and degree completion?

Please see Registrar’s Degree Information.

May I apply to Cameron University with an undeclared major? When must I declare a major?

No. Students need to declare their major, but later they may choose a different major. This is designed to help students receive the best possible advising, based on their interests.

How do I change my major?

Obtain a change of program form from the Registrar's Office, Room 205, North Shepler, or at CU-Duncan, and select the major you wish to pursue. The change will occur in the student information system within 2-3 business days.

What does my grade point average need to be in order to remain in good academic standing?

A retention grade point average of 1.7 or greater during the first 30 attempted semester hours and a retention grade point average of 2.0 or greater after 30 attempted hours.

Can I double major?


What is an Aggie?

Please see What is an Aggie?

Is there information about Lawton, Oklahoma and the surrounding area?

Please see Cameron University’s visitor information.

Is there contact information for Cameron University available on the web?

Please see contact information.

Where can I find more information about housing on campus?

Please see CU Housing.

Where can I find the student housing handbook?

Please see Student Housing.

Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes, International Student Orientation helps students with their transition to Cameron University and is required.

Is there a general feeling of safety (do students feel safe walking around campus at night)?

Yes! Cameron University is a very safe campus. We maintain our own police force. In addition, we have “blue light” emergency phones located throughout the campus connected directly to the campus police department. Cameron University Police also provide escorted services.

Are students required to live on campus?

No, students are not required to live on campus, although many students choose to do so because of the community and convenience of on-campus living

How long does it take to complete the program?

Full-time students can complete most of our undergraduate programs in 4 years and our master’s degree programs in 2 years.

Does Cameron University meal plans include Kozer, He’lal, or Vegan options?

Unfortunately not at this time.  

Can you drink, bathe, or wash in the local tap water?


What time zone is Lawton Oklahoma as compared to other time zones around the world?

Cameron is in the Central Time Zone, CST.

How large are classes?

Class level and major affect the size of classes a student will encounter. Students are likely to experience an increasing proportion of small classes as they progress from freshman to senior level.

The student/faculty ratio at Cameron University is 19.8 to 1.

Who is an international student?

International students are applicants who need visas to live and study in the United States.

I/my parents have applied for a green card. Am I still an international student?

Yes. You are still considered an international student until you have the green card and can send us a copy.

What type of visa do I need to study?

F1 student visa.

Can I study on an E visa?

E1 and E2 dependents of the principal E visa holder may study until they are 21 years of age. Afterwards they have to change to a F1 visa.

What is SEVP?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) program that administers the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). It ensures that government agencies have essential data related to nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors to preserve national security. SEVP provides approval and oversight to schools authorized to enroll F and M nonimmigrant students and gives guidance to both schools and students about the requirements for maintaining their status.

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is a web-based system for maintaining information on international nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors in the United States. It is the core technology for the DHS in this critical mission. SEVIS implements Section 641 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, which requires DHS to collect current information from nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors continually during their course of stay in the United States. In addition, the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 (USA PATRIOT Act; Public Law 107-56, amended Section 641) mandated implementation of SEVIS prior to Jan. 1, 2003.

What is the purpose of SEVIS?

SEVIS tracks and monitors nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors. If accepted by an SEVP-certified school, foreign students may be admitted to the United States with the appropriate F or M nonimmigrant status. If accepted for participation in a Department of State-verified exchange visitor program, exchange visitors may be admitted to the United States with J nonimmigrant status. Records of these nonimmigrant admissions and continued participation in these educational programs are maintained in SEVIS. Further, SEVIS enables SEVP to assure proper reporting and record keeping by schools and exchange visitor programs, thereby ensuring data currency and integrity. SEVIS also provides a mechanism for student and exchange visitor status violators to be identified so that appropriate enforcement is taken (i.e., denial of admission, denial of benefits or removal from the United States).

Who are F nonimmigrant students?

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides for the admission of different classes of nonimmigrants who are foreign nationals seeking temporary admission to the United States. The purpose of the nonimmigrant’s intended stay in the United States determines his or her proper nonimmigrant classification. Some classifications permit the nonimmigrant’s spouse and qualifying children to accompany the nonimmigrant to the United States or to join the nonimmigrant here. To qualify, a child must be unmarried and under the age of 21.

F-1 nonimmigrants, as defined in section 101(a)(15)(F) of the INA, are foreign students coming to the United States to pursue a full course of academic study in SEVP-approved schools. An F-2 nonimmigrant is a foreign national who is the spouse or qualifying child of an F-1 student.

What is the postsecondary education level?

Postsecondary: In the United States, students usually enroll in postsecondary schooling as adults (over the age of 18) and this category includes technical and community colleges, undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs.

What is an I-20?

Once you are accepted into an SEVP-certified school, your school’s designated school official will send you a document called the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” The Form I-20 is a paper record of your information in our Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) database. Each school that accepts you will mail you a Form I-20.

Do I need an I-20 for my family and dependents traveling with me?

You must also obtain a Form I-20 for any eligible dependents you plan to bring to the United States with you.

When should I get a new I-20?

After receiving the initial Form I-20 upon program acceptance, students may receive a new Form I-20 from their DSO in the following circumstances:

If the physical copy of the form is destroyed or misplaced.

For travel endorsement.

When the student’s SEVIS status changes (e.g., from Initial to Active).

For any substantive change to student information, such as changes to a student’s personal information, program of study, optional practical training, etc.

How long do I have to enter the United States before the program starts?

You have 30 days to enter the country before your official program start date, which is recorded in SEVIS. You must report to your school by the program start date listed on the Form I-20 you received. This is one of the rules you agree to when you received your student or exchange visitor status. If you do not follow this rule, you are not maintaining your status.

It is best to contact your school immediately after entering the country so that there is no question of your arrival.

If you cannot enter the United States for the term listed on your Form I-20 or if you will be late by a few days, immediately contact your designated school officials so that they can accurately enter this information in your SEVIS record.

Can I enter the United States more than 30 days in advance?

Students on F or M visas are not permitted to enter the United States earlier than 30 days before the start date of their program. If you wish to enter earlier than 30 days before your start date, you must separately apply and qualify for a visitor (B) visa.

After you are admitted to the United States by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials in visitor (B) visa status, you must separately apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of status to student (For M) status prior to the start of your program. You may not begin your course of study until the change of status is approved, and you may encounter lengthy processing times. You may also depart the United States and re-enter on your student (F or M) visa.

What is Form I-94, “Arrival Departure Record”?

The Form I-94, “Arrival/Departure Record,” is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) document issued to nonimmigrant aliens at the time of lawful entry into the United States at an air or sea port of entry. The Form I-94 is evidence of a nonimmigrant’s term of admission and used to document legal status in the United States, including length of stay and departure.