Include alternative text (alt-text) for all images including charts. Alt text should be entered in the Description area, not the Title area.1
- After inserting the image on the document,
- Right-click on the image and select "Format Picture" from the menu
- The Format Picture window will open
- Select Alt Text from the left menu
- Type in description text in the Description field (not the Title field).
- Click the Close button when done
A great way to begin checking the accessibility of your PowerPoint presentation is to use the built-in accessibility checker.
- Go to the File tab.
- Select Info
- Click on Check for Issues button.
- Select Check Accessibility from the drop-down list
The Accessibility Checker panel will open to the right of the document. The accessibility checker provides you with a list of errors, warnings and tips.
When you click on an error or warning, instructions on how to fix it appear below in "Additional Information."
1 "Making PowerPoint Documents Accessible." Tulsa Community College. 20 Nov. 2014. Web. 7 May 2015. https://www.sites.google.com/site/accessiblecoursematerials/powerpoint