Cameron Students posing for a picture on Campus

What are my rights under FERPA?

Right to Inspect/Review

A student has a right to inspect and review any education record to which their permitted to inspect/review under this policy. Education records are maintained in a number of University offices. Requests to review records must be made in writing to the responsible official of each office which maintains the records who shall try their best to comply with the request within 10 days upon receipt.

The University reserves the right to refuse to permit a student to inspect the following records:

  1. The financial statement of the student's parents.
  2. Letters and statements of recommendation for which the student has waived their right of access, or which were placed in file before January 1, 1975.
  3. Records connected with an application to attend Cameron University, if that application was denied.
  4. Those records which are excluded from the FERPA definition of education records.
  5. Records that contain information on more than one student.  A student may only inspect information which relates to their self.
  6. A personal record kept by a staff member, if it is kept in the personal possession of the individual who made the record, and information contained in the record has never been revealed or made available to any other person except the maker's temporary substitute.

Right to challenge the content of education records

A student who wishes to challenge the content of the educational record may do so by submitting a written request to the official responsible for maintaining the record, with such request specifying the content being challenged, the grounds for the challenge, and the exact action being sought. If the official grants the request, the change(s) will be made. If the request is denied, the student will be informed and will be given the opportunity to add an explanation to the record and/or appeal the official’s decision. See the FERPA policy for details.

Right to have some control over the disclosure of information from education records

This includes the student’s right to prevent the disclosure of directory information.

Right to file a complaint

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education if the student believes that the University has failed to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The complaint must be made within 180 days of when the infraction was discovered, and there must be sufficient evidence to prove the violation. The written complaint should be sent to:

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C.   20202

Who has access to my education records?

The following categories apply to those who have access to Student Educational Records:

  1. A school Official:
  • a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position;
  • a person elected to the Board of Regents;
  • a person employed by or under contract to the University to perform a special task, such as the attorney or auditor.
  1. To officials of another school, upon request, in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  2. To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs.
  3. In connection with a student's request for, or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.
  4. If required by a state law requiring disclosure that was adopted before November 19, 1974.
  5. To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions.
  6. To parents of an eligible student who claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  7. To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena.
  8. In the event that the release of information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or other individuals

A school official has a “legitimate educational interest” if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility to the University. Records should be used only in the context of official educational business.

FERPA protects the privacy of education records. School officials may not disclose personally identifiable information about students or permit inspection of their records without written permission from the student, unless such action is covered by certain exceptions permitted by FERPA

Does my spouse have access to my educational records?

No.  Your spouse has no rights under FERPA to access your educational records.