Cameron Students posing for a picture on Campus

Accommodation Request

Cameron University is committed to meeting the needs of students with disabilities based upon documentation of a disability covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. It is the university's philosophy that students with a disability must have equal educational opportunities. Our office can provide the following services and support:

  • Facilitate access for academic services to disabled students
  • Coordinate any special classroom needs for the student
  • Interact with faculty if a student has a problem in class or needs information or referrals to other departments or agencies

Do I Qualify?

The federal definition of a disability includes a person who (1) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities; (2) has a record of such impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such impairment. The student must provide documentation of an impairment which shows that the impairment restricts the ability to perform a major life activity in comparison to the average person in the general population

How Can I Access Disability Services?

In order to access disability services at Cameron University, you must register with the Office of Student Development. Registration is accomplished by taking the following steps:

  • Self-Identify as a student with a disability and complete a Request for Accommodations form through our office. Along with this online form, please submit documentation verifying the presence and current functional impact of the disability.
  • Once your request is received, it will be reviewed (you will be notified if additional documentation is needed). You will then meet with a staff member to discuss the accommodations process and your rights and responsibilities in postsecondary education. This process is interactive and your input on previous or current educational experiences and accommodations is helpful. The University is not obligated to waive or substitute anything that is fundamental to the nature of a program.
  • Specific information about your disability will not be disclosed to your instructors or other persons without your express permission. However, it may be necessary for the Office of Student Development to communicate with your instructors, certain campus departments (Physical Facilities, Testing Center, etc.) and/or your physician/diagnostician in order to provide the appropriate accommodations.

What Type of Documentation is Needed?

Please provide appropriate documentation from a qualified physician/diagnostician to the Office of Student Development verifying the presence and functional impact of the disability. The type of documentation will vary according to the disability but should give us a basic understanding of what your disability is and how the disability impacts you in the classroom environment. Recent documentation is recommended, but older documentation for chronic, non-progressive disabilities may be accepted in some cases. Disabilities with symptoms or features that tend to change over time may warrant more frequent updates in order to provide an ongoing and accurate picture of your needs. The Office of Student Development reserves the right to deny services or accommodations until appropriate documentation has been received. The documentation should address the following:

  • Credentials of the evaluator(s): Documentation must be provided by a licensed or otherwise properly credentialed professional who has undergone appropriate training, has relevant experience, and has no personal relationship with the individual being evaluated. There should be a match between the credentials of the individual making the diagnosis and the condition being reported (e.g. an orthopedic disability documented by a physician but not a licensed psychologist). The documentation of a disability should be provided on the letterhead of either the practitioner or the agency hosting the practice.
  • Diagnostic statement identifying the disability: Documentation must include a clear statement of the specific diagnosis of each disability. Documentation should include evaluation methods and tests and dates of administration, along with specific results.
  • Current functional limitations associated with the disability: Documentation must include information on how the disability currently impacts the student's major life activities. Some examples of major life activities are walking, hearing, seeing, concentrating, mental status, major bodily functions, and the ability to perform manual tasks. A statement on the severity, frequency, and pervasiveness of the condition should be included. If applicable, the documentation also should include a description of current medications or services used to treat the condition.
  • Specific recommendations on accommodations Documentation may include specific recommendations as to the types of reasonable accommodations needed (e.g. extra time for testing, note taking assistance). It should clearly describe the relationship between the disability and how an accommodation would provide access. The University has no obligation to provide or adopt recommendations but will consider them in order to provide equal access to education.

How can I get more information about Disability Services?

For more information, contact the Office of Student Development at (580) 581-2209, e-mail us at or stop by our office in North Shepler Room 314. 

The Office of Student Development does NOT evaluate requests for employment accommodations. Cameron University employees, including student workers, must contact the Human Resource office to request employment accommodations.

Request for Accommodation