HOW DO I PREPARE FOR ACADEMIC ADVISING?
• Make a list of classes you want to take. (You can view the course schedule here.)
• Bring a tentative planned schedule of those classes.
• Write down your questions so you don’t forget, and bring them with you.
• Bring any necessary documents like transcripts, test scores, verification forms, etc.
WHAT ARE MY (THE STUDENT’S) RESPONSIBILITIES?
• To give your advisor accurate and honest information.
• To schedule and keep appointments. If you will be late or cannot make your appointment, please call the Student Enrichment Center to let the advisor know. Appointments more than 10 minutes late will be rescheduled.
• To establish the agenda for the advising appointment. Tell the advisor what you need.
• To learn about University policies by browsing the catalog.
• To be open to advice. Sometimes advisors will bring up new ideas to try which may very well make your experience even better.
• Complete the Aggie Schedule Planner [Link: https://www.cameron.edu/storage/Aggie_Schedule_Planner.pdf] (refer to Degree Works and the course schedule to complete this document in preparation of your advising appointment).
WHAT ARE THE COACH’S RESPONSIBILITIES?
• To listen.
• To be prompt. Under normal circumstances, students should expect an email response from their advisor by the end of the next business day.
• To establish and develop a relationship with the student.
• To provide contact information.
• To keep scheduled appointments. In the event an appointment needs to be rescheduled, we will contact you.
• To give students information about academic services and resources available to the student.
• To help the student define academic and career goals.
• To interpret complex university policies for the student.