Active Duty Military

The following is a variety of items that specifically affect active duty military personnel using VA benefits. We strongly recommend you read through these tips & usage information to help assist you in making your use of VA benefits easier.


  • Students wishing to use Tuition Assistance and VA for the same courses require special information. Please link to the new information section for the program called: "Top-Up" for detailed information about what to do. If you do NOT plan to use Tuition Assistance from the military, and plan to use ONLY your regular VA educational benefits while on active duty; then information instructions listed below will be applicable to you.


  • Student applications for VA benefits must have the Armed Forces Education Services Officer Certification Signature.


  • Student Change of Place/Program Forms must have the Armed Forces Education Services Officer Certification Signature.


  • Students are eligible to request an Advance Pay Request in their first semester, or if they have had a break of more than one calendar month of not using their VA educational benefits, PROVIDED the ADVANCE REQUEST is requested by the date set by the CU-VA. The student will be required to complete an Advance Pay Statement of Understanding.


  • Advance pay must be requested by the date set by the CU-VA or the CU-VA will not process the enrollment certification for Advance Pay, but as a regular enrollment certification.


  • Unless advance pay is requested, the first regular payment check can be expected approximately 8 - 12 weeks after class begins.


  • We strongly encourage early enrollment of classes so we may have all necessary paperwork done and your enrollment certification sent to Muskogee. Waiting until peak periods at the beginning of the semester to enroll means it will take a longer period of time for the CU-VA Office to process your paperwork once you provide it to our office because of the higher work load. We work all requests in the date order we received your class schedule for processing.


  • Currently, Chapter 30 recipients must verify attendance on a monthly basis. You may call your verification telephonically or verify via the internet. You may call: 1-877-823-2378 and follow the instructions provided OR you may go on the internet to: and follow the link to the WAVE Program, then follow instructions provided.


  • When you provide your class schedule for a semester you must inform the CU-VA if you are taking a course through the Tuition Assistance Program. Failure to notify the CU-VA of receipt of Tuition Assistance will result in an overpayment of VA Educational Benefits. See new information section: "Top-Up" for active duty students.


  • Active Duty- New GI Bill® (Chapter 30) will only pay Tuition and Fees! Active Duty Chapter 30 students enrolled as half-time status or more will not receive a lump sum payment.


  • A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits. Frequent changes often can cause a student to have an overpayment of benefits. Frequent changes of schedule may also delay your certification process, especially if non-required courses for your approved VA Educational Objective are taken. VA will only issue benefits for courses that are required for your approved VA Educational Objective.


  • If you decide to change your major, notify CU-VA immediately. ALSO if your name, address, or phone number changes please notify the CU-VA.


  • The CU-VA does not need to be notified if a class has been dropped, BUT IF YOU ADD ANY CLASSES CU-VA WILL REQUIRE A NEW ENROLLMENT SCHEDULE. All ADDED class schedules MUST be provided to the CU-VA to be certified for payment. You must notify us you want to be certified for added classes through providing a new schedule.


  • All VA students that are degree seeking at Cameron University must have a degree plan drawn up by the Director of Veteran Affairs, Vicki Henson. Appointments can be made by calling 581-2301, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., weekdays. The VA requires the CU-VA to maintain a degree plan for each student's educational objective. 


  • Non-degree seeking students must complete and provide to the CU-VA a Parent School LetterRequest Form each semester they wish to be certified for benefits.


  • CU students who want to receive VA benefits for courses that will apply to their CU-VA approved VA educational objective at another institution, and transfer those courses back to Cameron to apply toward their CU-VA approved VA educational objective need to complete a Parent School LetterRequest Form each semester and provide the completed form to the CU-VA Office.


  • Failure to have a degree planproperly drawn up by the CU-VA during the first semester of pursuing your VA stated educational objective can result in a delay of payment. A degree plan must be done before a person can be certified by the CU-VA a second time.


  • If you have not had a VA degree plan completed by Mrs. Henson, you will be certified as pending by the VA and the CU-VA office CANNOT check for applicability of courses toward your VA degree plan. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for making sure your classes are REQUIRED by your VA degree plan. Note: The VA will not pay to repeat a course unless: 1) the university course catalogue specifies a certain grade must be achieved within a certain major, or 2) the person did NOT successfully complete the course and it is required for your current approved VA objective. - A "D" is acceptable for transfer. VA will not pay to repeat courses to raise your GPA. Please contact the CU-VA if you have questions about this policy.