The University recognizes residents’ desire for privacy, particularly in the context of their group living situation, and will do what it can to protect and guarantee their privacy. However, the University, through a Student Housing and Residence Life staff member or university official, reserves the right to enter a resident’s room at any time for the following purposes:
- To determine compliance with all relevant health and safety regulations. Health and Safety checks will occur throughout each semester, and prior notification will be posted.
- To provide maintenance and/or cleaning
- To conduct an inventory of University property
- To silence unattended loud alarms and music
- If there is an indication of imminent danger to life, health, and/or property
- Reasonable belief that a violation of rules or regulations is or has occurred
- To search for missing property or person
- To ensure that proper break period closing procedures have been followed
A room search by a designated Student Housing and Residence Life staff member or other University official is possible but rare. For such a search to take place, the conditions for room entry must exist. Permission for a room search is determined at the Director of Student Housing and Residence Life level and above. Items that violate university or housing regulations will be confiscated.