SHORT ANSWER 3 points each. Fill in the blank with the most correct answer.
1. _____________________ is a measurement of force per unit area.
2. Charles' Law relates ______________ to volume for a gas.
3. The _______________ pressure of a gas is the pressure exerted by that gas in a mixture of 2 or more gases.
4. Since for real gases the molecular volume is greater than ____________, no real gas can be an ideal gas under all conditions.
5. __________________ proposed minimum-energy 'packets' for light which he called 'quanta.'
6. ______________________ Duality is observed for both light and matter; however the only significant application of this principle is when used to describe sub-atomic particles (particularly electrons.)
7. _________________ spectra occur because of the electrons transferring between quantized energy levels within an atom.
8. __________________ stated that we cannot know both the position and the momentum of matter, but most importantly both position and momentum of an electron.
9. The ____ subshell consists of one spherically shaped orbital.
10. ______________ Rule states that filled orbitals are more stable when all electrons have the same spin quantum number.
11. ____________________ is considered to be the 'father' of the periodic table.
12. The atomic radius _____________________ as we go from left to right across the third period of the periodic table.
13. The ___________________________ is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom in the gas phase.
14. The ___________________________ is the energy required to add an electron to an atom in the gas phase.
15. A nonmetal hydroxide is ____________________ (acidic/basic).
Problems Point totals are shown in parenthesis. Show your work and circle your answers where appropriate for full credit.
16. (15) Calculate the molecular weight of a gas if 1.05 g of the gas is contained in 1.55 L at a pressure of 726 torr and a temperature of 20C.
17. (15) Calculate the mass of KClO3 (MW = 122.55) reacted if 231 mL of O2 gas was collected over water at 21C and an atmospheric pressure of 99.84 kPa. The reaction is:
19. (15) Calculate the energy and wavelength in nm of the photon that is emitted when an electron falls from the 5th shell to the 2nd shell in hydrogen.
Extra Credit 10 points. A gas of unknown molar mass was allowed to effuse through a small opening under constant pressure conditions. It required 72 s for 1 L of the unknown gas to effuse. Under identical experimental conditions it required 28 s for O2 gas to effuse. Calculate the molar mass of the unknown gas.