Chapter 25 - Learning Goals
1. Determine either the charge of a complex ion having been given the oxidation state of the
metal, or the oxidation state given the charge on the complex (you will need to recognize the
common ligands and their charges (Page 933, Table 25.1).
2. Describe, with the aid of drawings, the common geometries of complexes.
3. Name coordination compounds, having been given their formulas, or write the formulas
having been given their names.
4. Explain the difference between a monodentate and a polydentate ligand.
5. Describe a chelate, and explain the reasons for the additional stability relative to a monodentate ligand.