Writing #1: Understanding the Travels of Sidi Ali Reis
Having read the assigned
excerpt from the travel journal of Sidi Ali Reis, a Turkish amir and
admiral, answer the following questions using his travel account and,
where necessary, the appropriate sections of your textbook, World History.
1. Roughly speaking what is the route that Sidi Ali Reis follows.
Do not locate all of the places that he visits. Focus instead on
the main points of his journey and using the appropriate maps in World History as a guide describe
2. What evidence is there in the source that there was an Islamic world
that crossed the boundaries of different states and empires? Be
sure to give at least one concrete example.
3. Who were the chief European competitors at the time of Sidi Ali
4. Who were the Bats and what function did they perform? What
allowed to perform this function in your view?
5. What do you think a gazel (more properly spelled ghazal or gazal)
might have been and why do you think they were so important.
this one you'll need to look up the word gazal.
6. How stable does India seem to be under Humayun and who seems to be
in control? Give some specific examples.