Reading Questions: Max Havelaar, 95-178.
- What were the different ethnic groups in the Dutch East Indies in
the middle of the 19th century and what position in the social order
did each occupy?
- What aspects of the installation ceremony for Max Havelaar as
Assistant Resident seem to be "Dutch" and which aspects make
concessions to Indonesian (or more specifically Javanese) culture?
- What is the background of Max's wife Tina?
- Why are the Havelaars so poor?
- What is Bantam Kidul?
- What is the major religion on the island of Java?
- What is the meaning of the following words: dessah and sebah?
- What is Havelaar's aim in addressing the chiefs of Lebak and how
does he try to achieve it?
- According to Havelaar, what are the problems in Lebak?
- How do Droogstoppel and Blatherer respectively justify the
colonization of the Dutch East Indies?
- What sort of trouble did Max Havelaar have at Padang?
to the Syllabus