Reading Questions: Max Havelaar, 62-94
- What title does Max Havelaar have, what is his job and where does
he fit into the social order of Indonesia or, as the Dutch called it
then, the Dutch East Indies?
- What is the role of the Regent in Indonesia according to the
Dutch authorities? What is his role in Indonesia from the perspective
of the indigenous population?
- Before the Dutch arrived what would the role of the Regent have
been in Indonesia?
- What were the two basic governmental relationships between the
Netherlands and those living in Indonesia and what were the
governmental structures that fostered those relationships?
- From what sources did the Regents draw the authority with which
- What are the similarities and differences between the Assistant
Resident and the Regent and how was friction supposed to be avoided in
their interactions with one another?
- What are the revenue sources that supply that Regents with
- How does the Netherlands domestic population benefit from the
labor of Indonesians?
- What does Max Havelaar, the writer of this reading selection say
about Indonesian manners?
- What do the following words mean: babu; siri, pinang and gambier;
sarong; mandoor; and pendoppo?
to the Syllabus