CHEMISTRY 1361 or 1471 LABORATORY
POLICIES, GRADES, AND SCHEDULE
SYLLABUS in Department of Physical Science office. Please contact your instructor if you have questions or concerns.
Dr. Danny McGuire
Department of Physical Science
Room 225F PHONE: 580-581-2888
You are each responsible for the following procedures and schedules.
1. Attendance is required for each laboratory session. Be on time. Attendance records are kept.
No results, data sheets, etc. accepted from those absent.
2. No laboratory exercises can be “made-up”.
3. Goggles are required and must be worn in the laboratory at all times.
4. Each student is responsible to adhere to all safety rules as identified in the “Laboratory
Handbook for General Chemistry”.
5. There is no Pre-lab assignment for the first laboratory activity (Week One).
6. Chemistry 1361 meets in Room 217.
7. Chemistry 1471 meets in Room 221.
8. Generally, each student will have a laboratory partner. Each pair of experimenters is required
to maintain an assigned lab locker/space (no keys), return clean used glassware to the lab
locker assigned, return hardware to the correct storage drawer, and clean their work area.
9. Before a laboratory grade is assigned, you must have a passing grade assigned in the
chemistry lecture course (departmental policy).
10. No “horseplay” in the laboratory.
11. Chem 1361 students absent from Lab 1 are required to complete the exercise before they
begin Lab 2 or any subsequent lab. However, you will lose 15% of Lab 1 points.
12. Each laboratory activity is worth 25 points. You can drop the low score.
13. Each pre-laboratory assignment is worth with 10 points. You can drop the low score.
14. Lab 1 is worth 25 points but does not have a pre-lab.
15. Lab scores total 675 points.
16. Grades are assigned to points earned as follows:
Data sheets 11 @ 25 pts. =275
Pre-lab sheets 10@ 10 pts. =100
Lab Final =100
Safety Score =100 (plus safety exercise)
Techniques (procedure) =100
621 - 675 points (~ 92%) A
540 - 620 points (~ 80%) B
438- 539 points (~ 65%) C
337 - 437 points (~ 50%) D
< 337 points F
17. Any pre-labs or lab reports are due at the beginning of the lab period. Late papers receive
a 5 point reduction in assigned points for those laboratory papers. You must come to lab
with all assignments completed.
18. NO PHOTOCOPIES. Lab exercises are available in the bookstore.
19. Assignments turned in but not completed are not scored.
20. Always show your work when performing calculations (numerical analysis).
21. You alone are responsible for your clothing and personal property.
22. Store nothing of value in lab lockers.
23. Arrive prepared for each laboratory. Read the assigned laboratory material before laboratory.
24. Lab assignments are due the following lab period.
25. Each week safety and experimental technique will be detailed.
(CHEM 1361) (CHEM 1471)
WEEK ONE (January 14) No Lab Meeting
LABORATORY POLICIES & SAFETY
MISC 490 (ASSIGNED QUESTIONS)
WEEK TWO (January 21) PROP 440
WEEK THREE (January 28) PROP 513
WEEK FOUR (February 4) ANAL 498
WEEK FIVE (February 11) No Laboratory This Week
WEEK SIX (February 18) STOI 398
WEEK SEVEN (February 25) ANAL 900
WEEK EIGHT (March 4) REAC 389
WEEK NINE (March 11) SYNT 451
WEEK TEN (March 18) March 18-22 SPRING BREAK
WEEK ELEVEN (March 25) ANAL 394
WEEK TWELVE (April 1) ANAL 902
WEEK THIRTEEN (April 8) REAC 390
WEEK FOURTEEN (April 15) PROP 481
WEEK FIFTEEN (April 22) LABORATORY CHECK-OUT
LABORATORY FINAL(100 points....multiple choice)
Instructors will assign questions! The final is “standardized”!