Tuition Assistance Top-Up or Top-Off (TAT)

Note: THIS INFORMATION IS APPLICABLE ONLY TO STUDENTS USING TA & VA FOR THE SAME COURSE! If you are using TA & VA for the SAME course you do NOT need to go thru the school VA office!! IF YOU WANT TO USE ONLY VA, and NO TA FOR THE COURSE EXPENSES, THEN YOU MUST CONTACT THE SCHOOL VA OFFICE. If it's CAMERON, then you need to check with the CU-VA OFFICE, 320 North Shepler Tower, 580-581-2301.

*****Please READ the information provided directly by the Department of Veteran Affairs regarding "Top Up" at:

Application Procedures for students using Top Up

  • Original Claims
    Basic eligibility to Chapter 30 must be established before eligibility to Top-up can be considered. An original claim must be submitted on VA Form 22-1990.

    If you haven't previously filed a claim for MGIB, you should do the following:


    1. Request TA from your branch of service. See your education services officer or education counselor.


    2. Complete an application for VA educational benefits, VA Form 22-1990. You can get the form at VA's web site at:


    3. Indicate "Top-up" on the VA application in item 1A under the MGIB-Active Duty block.


    4. Send your TA approval form, along with the application for VA Educational Benefits, to the Muskogee VA Regional office at:
      Veterans Affairs Regional Office
      PO Box 8888
      Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

    *Remember you still have to process your TA paperwork with the institution you will be attending; and you are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to make a copy of the VA application and TA paperwork you send into the VA Regional Office to be processed for your records!


  • Instructions for students continuing to use their VA "Top-up" Educational benefits If you have ALREADY USED Chapter 30 within the past 1 year (12 month) period of time, then you would just need to submit your TA paperwork and any form of correspondence indicating you would like to use the Top-up program for the course/s indicated on the TA paperwork. You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to retain a copy of the correspondence and TA paperwork each time you send a request for Top-up to the VA.

You can call the Muskogee VA Regional Office if you have questions or problems. If you are within the continental U.S. you can call: 1-888-442-4551 toll free and you will reach the nearest VA Regional Office in your area.