How Do I Start My VA Benefits?
- Apply to Cameron University
- Complete an application for admission
- If you have previously attended Cameron, complete an application for re-admission
- Pay $15.00 application fee (if you are a new admission - CU will no longer require active duty soldiers to pay an application fee)
- Request official transcripts for high school and prior college/university credits to be sent to Cameron
- See the appropriate academic department for your degree program
- Ask for an academic advisor
- Enroll in desired courses (your academic advisor will do this for you)
NOTE: VA will only pay for courses REQUIRED within your degree program
- Pick up an enrollment schedule from your academic dept. or the enrollment office (located in room #201 North Shepler)
- Visit the Cameron Office of Veteran Affairs (located in room #332 North Shepler, 580-581-2301)
- Complete a VA application for benefits packet (If you are not sure what type of VA benefits you qualify for, you may contact the VA Regional Office education toll-free number: 1-888-442-4551 OR visit the Cameron Office of Veteran Affairs website.
- Submit an enrollment schedule
- Submit a copy of your DD Form 214--member 4 (if veteran status)
- Inform staff if you will be using military tuition assistance for any courses on your current enrollment schedule (if active duty status) See "Top-Up" for active duty students for more information.
- Submit copies of marriage certificates, divorce decrees (for veteran and spouse) and birth certificates for all minor children under 18 years of age (required for veterans using the Vietnam era Montgomery G.I. Bill)
- Submit a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (if using benefits through a Reserve/National Guard unit)
- If all of your official transcripts have arrived at Cameron, set up a transcript evaluation appointment with the VA Coordinator (This should be done some time within the first semester of using VA benefits to prevent breaks/delays in your monthly VA payments)
NOTE: VA will not pay for REPEAT courses. For exceptions see the Cameron Office of Veteran Affairs