Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educ. Assistance

Chapter 32 VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. This is a voluntary contributory matching program in which each person has the right while on active duty to enroll in and make contributions to the program. Service members may contribute between $25 and $100 each month while on active duty up to a maximum of $2700.00 with 2-for-1 matching funds from the government. Participants, while on active duty, may make a lump sum contribution to the training fund at any time prior to discharge or release from active duty. The government may also make additional contributions, called "kickers," into the fund on behalf of certain service persons in critical military fields, as determined by the Department of Defense, or as deemed necessary to encourage persons to enter or remain in the Armed Forces.

This program permits the service person to voluntarily participate in a plan for future education or training in which the participant's savings are administered and augmented by the government. Participants receive monthly payments for the number of months they contributed, or for 36 months, whichever is less. For more information about Chapter 32 benefits & eligibility please see

A person who wishes to apply for Chapter 32 benefits at Cameron University will need to have completed the following:

  1. Provided Official Transcripts of all prior accredited institutions of higher education attended/attending currently to the Cameron University Undergraduate Admissions Office. (This is a requirement for all students using veterans benefits, even if the Admissions Office does not need them for your admission to the university. The reason for this requirement is the Department of Veteran Affairs requires the CU-VA Office to officially report all prior credit completed at other higher educational institutions.) For additional information visit Cameron's Undergraduate Admission's web site.

    *Graduate students would need to provide official transcripts to Cameron Graduate Admissions Office. (See Graduate Studies for more information.)

    Students must be admitted to Cameron University before the CU-VA will proceed with processing a student's paperwork for veterans benefits.


  2. Either an Application for educational benefits VA Form 22-1990 or a Change of Program/Place Form, VA Form 22-1995 - completed. IMPORTANT: The CU-VA office is required to maintain a student file for everyone using veterans benefits. Any VA form should be processed through the CU-VA office for purposes of checking for correctness & completeness; as well as to provide the CU-VA with basic information if a benefits problem should arise. For students within state we recommend contacting our office for free preprinted forms to ensure completion of the correct forms, but VA forms may be accessed through:

Pay Status

Please contact the Muskogee Regional Office to find out how much money you will receive for a monthly rate, since each person receives a different amount.

To be considered a full-time student by VA for undergraduate students: you must be enrolled in at least 6 hours of 8 week courses each 8 week term or 12 hours of 16 week courses for the semester. For graduate students you must be in 9 hours of graduate level 16 week courses, or 4 hours of graduate level 8 week courses each 8 weeks, or consecutively meeting 3 hour 4 weekend courses (with no breaks between weekend meeting dates).

Mixtures of courses with different lengths requires special attention and advice. Graduate Assistantship's will not count toward your VA pay status.

Note: The university considers a full-time student for the whole semester DIFFERENTLY than the VA for payment purposes!!

With the exception of Chapter 31 all less than half-time students will be paid automatically in a lump sum. This requires their enrollment certifications to be processed, not earlier than the 1st day of the semester as a confirmed enrollment.

VA Educational Benefits are non-taxable. Please contact the CU-VA for your VA enrollment status information if you have questions or problems. You will need to contact the Muskogee Regional Processing Center for your monthly rate amount.

Special Tips & Information for Chapter 32 students

  1. A change in your class schedule may affect your VA benefits.  Frequent changes often can cause a student to have an overpayment of benefits. Frequent changes of schedule may also delay your certification process, especially if non-required courses for your approved VA Educational Objective are taken.


  2. Courses paid by the Active Army Tuition Assistance Program CANNOT have duplicate pay from the VA.  When you provide your class schedule for a semester you must inform the CU-VA if you are taking a course through the Tuition Assistance Program. Failure to notify the CU-VA of receipt of Tuition Assistance will result in an overpayment of VA educational benefits.


  3. For additional benefit usage information see appropriate links in the CU-VA Resident Student Information menu.


For more information, contact Vicki Henson, Coordinator of Veteran Affairs