The Southwest Area Health Education Center, located at Cameron University, is co-sponsoring “On The Road,” a geriatric conference aimed at nurses, social workers, OTs, PTs, pharmacists, counselors, health profession students and others who care for and about seniors. The conference takes place on Friday, November 2, in the Memorial Student Union, 800 W. Custer, on the campus of Southwestern Oklahoma State University. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m., and education sessions start at 9 a.m. There is no charge to attend.
“On The Road” will feature evidence-based geriatric education to improve the knowledge and skills of health care professionals who care for older clients and to supplement geriatric/gerontology content for health professions students. Topics will include “Misdiagnosis of Dementia,” “Medication Reconciliation,” “Palliative Care in the Acute Care Setting,” “Risk Management,” “Aging Simulation Sensitivity Training”, “Special Considerations in the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain in the Older Patient and “Oral Hygiene Care for the Older Adult and Caregiver.”
Continuing education credits have been approved for many health professions. Six CEUs have been approved for nurses, social workers, home care administrators, LPCs and LMFTs. CEUs are pending for PTs, OTs and pharmacists.
- Omolara Henley, MA, Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OUHSC
- Meri Hix, PharmD, BCPS, CGP, Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, SWOSU
- Jeanene Lindsay, Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OUHSC
- Sheryl Mapes, MPH, Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OUHSC
- Germaine Odenheimer, MD, Staff Physician, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oklahoma City; Associate Professor, Donald W. Reynolds Department of Geriatric Medicine, OUHSC
- Marian Prichard, M.Ed, RHIA, Associate Dean, School of Allied Health Sciences, SWOSU
- Mark Stratton , PharmD, BCPS, CGP, FASHP, Professor & Director of the Institute for Geriatric Pharmacy at the College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Sally Crim Tibbals, MS ACNS-BC
In addition to SWAHEC, the conference is sponsored by The Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OU College of Nursing, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma Healthy Aging Initiative, Reynolds Department of Geriatric Medicine, Oklahoma Veteran’s Center – Clinton Division, and Great Plains Regional Medical Center.
Pre-registration is required; to register, go to www.ouhsc.edu/okgec. For more information, contact Sheryl Mapes at email@example.com or (405) 271-8130 or Jenny Breeden at firstname.lastname@example.org or (580) 581-2792.
October 24, 2012