Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Types of Aid

Cameron University is one of the most affordable among Oklahoma colleges and universities.  Even with our affordable tuition and fees and on-campus residential living, many of our students receive financial aid to help fund part or all of their education.  Cameron offers many federal, state and institutional aid programs to assist students in their educational endeavors.  The types and amounts of aid awarded are determined by financial need, student classification, academic merit, talent, and availability of funds.  Financial aid is classified as:

Federal Grants

Direct Student Loans


Tuition Waivers

Work Study



Grants are free money that generally speaking does not have to be repaid. Grants are normally awarded to students who are determined to have a high financial need based on completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal and state formulas determine who can receive these awards.

Federal Pell Grants

  • Pell grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned their first bachelor’s degree. The maximum award for undergraduates is $5,920. If you are Pell eligible, you will be funded as follows:

    Pell table

  • You are limited to a lifetime maximum of 12 terms of full-time Pell payments or its equivalent for part-time study. If you are near or have met the Federal Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU), the Department of Education will notify you on the Student Aid Report (SAR) regarding your status. You can log on to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS®) using your Federal Student Aid ID and view your LEU. The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.


  • SEOG is a federally funded grant program. Eligibility requires a zero Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by completing the FAFSA. Funds are very limited for the SEOG program.


  • OTAG is funded by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE). You must be enrolled in at least 6 hours, be an Oklahoma resident, and be an undergraduate student to be eligible for OTAG funding. OTAG awards are distributed on the basis of first applied, along with strict income guidelines and availability of funds. An OTAG award posted on your initial award letter is only an estimate and does not guarantee funding. OSRHE does not release OTAG funds until late September in the fall term or late February in the spring term. For priority consideration, your FAFSA should be processed by December 1.


  • The Oklahoma’s Promise Scholarship covers the cost of tuition for students who meet the program’s requirements as determined by OSRHE. The scholarship applies for up to five years after high school graduation or until completion of a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first. The scholarship does not cover mandatory fees, books, housing or other institutional charges. Oklahoma’s Promise Scholarships are awarded based on eligibility requirements mandated by the Oklahoma State Regents and the Cameron University SAP Policy.


A scholarship is a type of financial assistance that does not have to be repaid.  Funds are provided through the institution, civic and religious organizations, professional groups, foundations, corporations and cultural groups.  Scholarships are based on academic excellence, personal skills, family affiliations, athletic ability, financial need or other factors.

  1. Institutional Scholarships -  students who wish to be considered for scholarships can use Cameron's own scholarship portal to make an application for multiple types of awards, some of which are awarded automatically based on students' academic profiles while others may require the completion of an essay.  New students must be admitted to the university to access the scholarship portal.

  2. Non-Institutional Scholarships - In addition to the General Scholarship Application, we encourage you to apply for as many non-institutional scholarships as you can find. It’s free money!  Consider the following sources as you begin your search:
  • Foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
  • Organizations and professional associations related to your field of interest
  • Your/your parents’ employers
  • Ethnicity-based organizations
  • A high school or TRIO counselor
  • Search online, but be careful, make sure scholarship information or offers are legitimate. Remember, you should never have to pay to find scholarships or other financial aid.
  • Be sure to check out the list of available non-institutional scholarship resources on Cameron’s financial assistance web page at

Tuition Waivers

Tuition waivers are institutional awards that are used to "offset" the your tuition.  These waivers can be applied against in-state and out-of-state tuition.  Most tuition waivers are awarded based upon high school grade point average, ACT/SAT scores, high school class rank and transfer retention grade point averages.  Award recipients are identified via information provided on the Application for Admission.

A tuition waiver for Oklahoma residents waives the designated amount of tuition only and is credited against the in-state tuition rate.  Students are responsible for all fees.  Non-resident and Texas county tuition waivers waive the tuition difference between the in-state and non-resident rate.  These students are responsible for the remaining tuition costs and all fees.

Back to top


Work Study

Work study is a student employment program that pays students minimum wage to work in a variety of positions on campus.  Students can use their work study earnings to help pay for tuition, fees, housing and other expenses.  There are two types of work study available:

    1. Institutionally funded employment requires enrollment in a minimum of 6 credit hours for fall or spring or at least 3 credit hours for summer.
    2. Federally funded employment requires that you meet federal eligibility as determined by the outcome of your FAFSA.

Enrolled students can find open workstudy positions on campus on the Quick Links menu in AggieAccess.

Back to top

Federal Student Loans

If you find that you will need to borrow money to assist in covering the complete cost of your college education, there are federal loans available to you. Cameron University participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program, which allows students to borrow directly from the federal government. Just like any other loan, these loans are repaid with interest.

Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education. Interest on subsidized loans is not paid while you are in school.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, the student does not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan. Interest on unsubsidized loans begins to accrue from the time you receive the loan.

Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.

To receive a Federal Direct Student Loan you must be eligible based on the outcome of your FAFSA application, enrolled in at least six credit hours, be eligible for loan funds after other outside sources have been computed and accept your loans on AggieAccess. Your financial aid package will include the maximum loan amount you are eligible to borrow. We encourage you to carefully review your expenses and resources and borrow only what you need. If you are loan eligible, you will be funded as follows:

Federal direct student loan

All first time borrowers are required to complete entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before receiving any loan funds. Entrance counseling is a mandatory on-line information session that explains your responsibilities and rights as a student borrower. The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). You will go to to complete both the entrance counseling and MPN. You should expect for it to take you about 30 minutes for each document. You will need a FAFSA ID to sign into the web site.

Per federal requirements, loan funds for first-time freshmen borrowers will not be issued to the student until 30 days following the start of classes and are subject to verification of students’ attendance in enrolled courses.

Federal Plus Loans (for Parents)

If you are a parent of a dependent student and would like to apply for a Parent PLUS loan, you may complete an application and master promissory note. You must use your Federal Student Aid ID to complete the application. Parents completing a PLUS eMPN must use their own ID number, not their student’s ID.

Students studying on campus