- Must be African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American.
- Must be a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Must have attained a cumulative high school GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (unweighted) or have earned a GED.
- Must be enrolling for the first time at a U.S. accredited***college or university as a full-time, degree-seeking, first-year student in fall 2008.
- Must have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities.
- Must meet the federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria.
- Must have completed and submitted all three required forms (Nominee Personal Information Form, Nominator Form, and Recommender Form) by the deadline.
- Support for graduate degrees may be pursued for the following fields: education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health, science.
Individuals selected as Gates Scholars will receive funds in an amount to be determined by GMS based on financial need. The award will be based on the cost of tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for the 2008-2009 academic year, as well as the availability of grants and other scholarships reported on the submitted financial aid award letter.
The scholarship, for the undergraduate award, may be renewed annually based on satisfactory academic progress, full-time, and the timely submission of required documents. Support for graduate degrees may be pursued for the following fields: education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health, science