Cameron University believes Community Service is integral to a productive campus. As such, we promote local volunteer activities for students, faculty, and staff.
Cameron also partners with local agencies to provide opportunities for both campus groups and individual students to serve.
Cameron's Service Facts
During the 2015-2016 academic year,
- Cameron University students logged approximately 6224 hours of community service
- PLUS Scholars logged 2312.25 hours
- Cameron University Athletes logged 2745 hours
- The MLK Day of Service logged 680 hours.
- In Oklahoma, one hour of volunteer work is valued at $21.45. This means that the dollar value of Cameron University's student volunteering was $133,504.80!
Top 6 Reasons to Volunteer:
#6: It saves resources. Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.
- The estimated value of a volunteer's time is $23.07 per hour.
#5: Volunteers gain professional experience. You can test out a career.
#4: It brings people together. As a volunteer, your assist in:
- Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal.
- Building camaraderie and teamwork.
#3: Volunteering strengthens your community. As a volunteer, you help:
- Support families (daycare and eldercare)
- Improve schools (tutoring and literacy)
- Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
- Beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
#2: Volunteering encourages civic responsibility. Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community amd the people who live in it.
#1: It's good for you! Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards. It:
- Reduces Stress - Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual tension-producing patterns.
- Makes your healthier - Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy and control over one's fate, strengthen the immune system.
- Helps your understand community needs - Empathy and self-efficacy can help you better engage in your community.